Monday, June 1, 2009

Do you do reference work in your spare time?

Last week, at home, I fielded two reference questions for friends:

1. Rutgers has a program for donating your body to science--can you tell me more about this?

Eek--this question got me off my duff to record some of the stories that this 80 year old neighbor has been entertaining me with for years. And digging around for the information was interesting--turns out that this body donation program has moved to The Robert Wood Johnson Medical School:

http://www2.umdnj.edu/donorweb/

2. Have you ever seen decorative concrete, ceramic, plaster, or whatever cats on people's roofs? They may be tacky, I don't know for sure, but I want some for my roof...I remember seeing them as a kid, and they were usually painted black and white and looked like they were scrambling across the roof. They were usually put up in pairs. Anyhow, I want to get some, and I can't locate them. I've "Googled" roof cats, roof ornaments, decorative cats, plaster cats, concrete cats, ceramic cats, etc... but I still can't find them.

It really helped that my friend told me what he had done to try to find these kitties. Indeed, I could only find one source for these rooftop cats, and this source is in the United Kingdom:

www.hadley-reclaimed.co.uk/roof-finials-c-65.html

Not only do I enjoy doing reference work for my friends, I'm flattered that they come to me.

Just a question for those of you who work in Information Services all day--are you the unofficial reference provider for your friends and family? If so, do you like doing your "work" on your off hours?

No comments: