Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thing 13: Del.icio.us

I took Jill Ingraham's fabulous class on the social bookmarking tool "Del.icio.us" last fall, and have enjoyed the ability to add to and pull up my favorite Web sites using any computer. Please, feel free to browse through my tags and request to be networked to me:

http://del.icio.us/karlaivarson

What I learned today is that I tag items differently than others do. For example, I've been tagging two-word combinations with a dash (bush-administration), whereas others tag two-word combinations with an underscore in between the words (bush_administration). This highlights the potential problem of the "uncontrolled vocabulary" of tagging, does it not? Of course, this is only a problem if we solely rely on user-defined tags to catalog items, hmmm? Any thoughts on this?

Much like "Library Thing" lets me browse the selections of people who have similar tastes to me, "Del.icio.us" will be very useful to me in finding Web sites of interest.

No comments: