Friday, April 25, 2008

Thing 16: Wikis


Like most people, I had never noticed the "Discussion and History" tabs at the top of each Wikipedia article. Using these tabs allowed me to figure out the exact date that I corrected an article on Wikipedia. You heard me right--I got to fix something on this oft maligned Web resource, specifically the caption to a picture provided in an article on the Akonting Lute.

The Akonting Lute is the African predecessor to the banjo (most people don't know that the banjo itself is an African American instrument). I was thrilled that Wikipedia had an article on this topic, as it has only recently attracted much scholarly attention. However, the caption to the picture of a man holding this instrument was incorrect, so I fixed it. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, I forgot what was wrong with the caption on the first place. Clicking on the "History" tab let me find when I changed this caption and also allowed me to view the caption before I changed it:

"00:43, 30 December 2007 72.75.150.176 (Talk) (12,506 bytes) (I changed the wording for the picture--the caption incorrectly stated that banjo players pick with the middle finger.)"

Unlike many of my colleagues, I'm a big fan of Wikipedia, as I think it represents our "collective knowledge". The "Discussion and History" features of Wikipedia allow all to view our "collective thought process".

2 comments:

sewinglady said...

Karla
I should of known this was you. Loved your picture. You are good at this. I stilll havent been able to load my picture or the picture of my grandkids. Still trying though.
I always thought you had very interesting musing, so keep it up.

Poi people Filigree phoenix said...

poi!!! me too friend...im new here but nice to meet you. i see we have poi in common...i run Poi people where many fire and social change people are gathering...theres a link in all my blogs so feel free to reach out and join us there...
smiles and joy fellow poi person...=)
Phoenix